Loneliness Part 3...Haman Moments

 Don’t let a current season of current loneliness be what I call a Haman Moment. Let me explain...She gets on my nerves! It's true I had a co-worker that absolutely positively just got on my nerves. I found myself complaining about her, talking about her, and thinking about how much her very presence was just ruining my day. In my defense, I had a reason to feel this way she just didn't do her job and for me that was frustrating. I kind of pride myself on having a high work ethic. So it's a bit of a crab up my skin when other people just don't do their jobs. I mean it really bothers me! This particular coworker was one of those people who showed up for work late almost every day, she would lie about why she was late or why she didn't get something done and she just didn't do her job! As you can see it really bothered me. Have you ever had that happen? Has something or someone got on your nerves so bad that it just ruined your day? If you answered yes to this question guess who's probably in the wrong? Yeah... you got it it's you and in my case it was me. The Lord started showing me how I was letting one small situation bother me. That I was letting another person's actions on this case inaction affect me to the point that it was ruining my day. And in truth, that person wasn't ruining my day. The truth is what was really ruining my day was the power and attention I was giving to another person's actions...that is what was ruining my day. I was choosing to let someone or something in some cases have power over me. A power that they should have never been given. The Lord really showed me how wrong I was while reading the book of Esther. Most of the time when we read Esther we look at the character of Haman as a major villain. If you're not familiar with the story Haman really was a horrible person. He tried and failed to arrange a mass genocide against the Jewish Community during that time. Esther, our hero in the story,  was used by the Lord to stop this genocide. But in this case, I really don't want to focus on Esther I actually want to focus on our villain Haman.

 Let's take a look at Esther 5:9- 13


That day Haman went out full of joy and glad of heart. At the king’s gate, however, he saw Mordecai, who did not rise or tremble in fear at his presence. And Haman was filled with rage toward Mordecai.

10Nevertheless, Haman restrained himself and went home. And calling for his friends and his wife Zeresh, 11Haman recounted to them his glorious wealth, his many sons, and all the ways the king had honored and promoted him over the other officials and servants.

12“What is more,” Haman added, “Queen Esther invited no one but me to join the king at the banquet she prepared, and I am invited back tomorrow along with the king. 13Yet none of this satisfies me as long as I see Mordecai the Jew sitting at the king’s gate.”

This is crazy to me! Haman left Palace that day feeling on top of the world. He was walking in favor with the King he had just been invited to a banquet by the queen. Granted as you read the chapter this banquet really wasn't a good thing for him, however, he didn't know that at the time. So he's walking home, he sees Mordecai, and he loses it because Mordecai won't bow down to him. Now granted Haman is clearly a narcissist. But I don’t want to focus on that part either. I want to look at the part where Haman is filled with rage toward Mordecai because he doesn't bow down to him. Now I know what you are thinking... we can look at this and say wow human was a real jerk. Which he was, however, I think sometimes we're the same way do we let one little thing something insignificant that doesn't matter fill us with rage? Just being honest and transparent I do all the time. I am having a great day, one thing goes wrong, and suddenly my great day isn't that great. I felt convicted as I read the story I want to be like Esther or even Mordecai but  9 times out of 10 I find myself acting like Haman. I waste my time focusing on one thing that's bothering me and letting that thing ruin my day. Again, I get it Haman was a really bad guy! He was totally about himself and he didn't care about who he hurt on his rise to the top. Also, I want to challenge you! Don't be like Haman...how many amazing things are happening in your life? How many things should you be thanking God for but you're focused on what's not going right? For example, if you're reading this you're probably a single gal or guy.  I would also be willing to bet that you have some amazing things happening in your life. Perhaps you just finished school, maybe just got a promotion from work, just bought your first home, a new car or maybe it's something as simple as it's a beautiful bright day outside and you just finished an amazing run. You sit down, grab the phone, click on Instagram see a seemingly cute couple, and all of the sudden you're frustrated and your life is bad. I would call that a Haman moment. Be careful not to let the Haman moments ruin the amazing life that God has given you. Are you focusing on the good things that God's doing and has done in your life or are you only focused on what you don't have or what didn't go right that day. We all have bad days I get it but even those bad days are an opportunity to thank God for something. So in closing don't be like Haman. Take every moment as a worship moment, even in bad times to thank God for something amazing that he's doing in your life.


Comments

Popular Posts